Monday, April 25, 2011

Mom's Who Teach Mondays

"Waiting for Superman"


Have you seen this yet? If not, I would highly recommend it!

I taught 2nd grade for three years and am now a mother to three beautiful children. I have a passion for teaching and love children! I had heard about this movie "Waiting for Superman" and the other night I sat down with my hubbie to watch this amazing documentary about the public school system in the United States. It struck a chord with me. Now that I have children it seems that I am more concerned than ever with the educational system that I once used to be apart of. Here are some statistics that the movie depicted:



"In America right now, a kid drops out of high school every 26 seconds. These drop-outs are 8 times more likely to go to prison, 50% less likely to vote, more likely to need social welfare assistance, not eligible for 90% of jobs, are being paid 40 cents to the dollar of earned by a college graduate, and continuing the cycle of poverty.”


After being a teacher and now a parent, I realized that we as parents HAVE to speak up and be advocates for our child's education. Do what it takes to help your child receive the BEST education that he or she can. 

If you would like to be featured on "Moms Who Teach Mondays" please email us at teachertomom@gmail.com
{Please note: you do not need to be an educator or past educator to contribute} 

No comments: