Thursday, February 17, 2011

Good Readers Think!

Comprehension is a very important part of becoming a good reader. When you are reading with your child remind him to ask these questions will he's reading independently...and you can ask him these questions too!

I wonder.....
I predict.....
It reminds me of....
In my mind I see....
It makes me feel.....
I like the part about....
In my opinion.....

Easy enough, right? By asking your child these questions as well as teaching him to think about them as he reads, you are helping your child become the best reader he can be. As your child comprehends the text better, he will become a faster (more fluent) reader. He will also be more engaged in his story, allowing him to ENJOY what he's reading, thus increasing his LOVE of reading. 

All really, really great reasons to help your child with comprehension!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Reminds me of my favorite classes in school with you girls! Good reminders. I love that our degree is sooo applicable.

teacher2mom said...

I know! I loved those classes too! And I loved being in class with YOU! I completely agree that it is so wonderful how applicable our agree really is. Thank you for the support Sarah!